Sunday 18 November 2012

Pekiiiing Duck...

Not tonight Floody; this evening we had Magret de canard à l'orange which sort of looked like this...











The pan fried duck was accompanied by potatoes roasted in the oven with duck fat (who's fat?).  I had read that potatoes roasted with duck fat are pretty good and tonight proved it, they are the best roast taters I have ever cooked  mmmmmmm.

I searched the cellar for a pinot that might have proved a worthy partner to the duck; I opened a 1996 Cote d'Or which David declared was 'bloody awful' then a 2002 Cote d'Or was proffered which was judged to be equally dreadful: back to the cellar and although we have lots of lovely Pirie Estate 2006 Pinot Noir David is not a fan so I returned with a Peter Lehmann 2008 Black Queen Sparkling Shiraz.  It may not be the first thing that comes to most peoples' minds when trying to match a wine to duck and orange, however I thought it worked very well.

Prost xxxxxxx

1 comment:

Mrs Moose said...

that looks pretty darn good to me Catherine ...